About Me...

Welcome to my ISM Blog,

I am a student at Dr. Justin Wakeland High school located in Frisco, Texas. I am in the Independent Study Mentorship Program, or ISM, at Wakeland and my topic of study for this school year is Finance, specifically Hedge Fund Management. Throughout the year I will post Weekly Reports and my research along with other related works for the class here.

Thank You,
Matthew W.Blair

Friday, October 24, 2014

Weekly Blog #8
Due Date: October 20th, 2014
By: Matthew W. Blair

       This week was rather relaxed, we had to do a couple things while at the same time we were responsible for meeting with professionals and conducting informational interviews. Miscellaneous work this week consisted of a research assessment, last weeks blog, our display board plan and interview assessments.
       This week I met with Mr. Jon Gattman, Founder and Portfolio Manager at Cloverdale Capital in Dallas. Meeting with him was very productive and beneficial. Cloverdale is only about a month old and had a very successful launch, as Mr. Gattman said. He provided me with a lot of useful information for my research. Cloverdale started off with approximately $65 Million, and is already making profits. Mr. Gattman was a really cool person to meet with. He had an interesting perspective on what I should major in college; he said that, while finance is beneficial, he is more inclined to hire someone who has a major in applied math, engineering or a social science because those majors are good at teaching one how to problem solve. He also said it was very important to set yourself apart, and the two big ways he recommended were: Investing on your own and make good grades. Overall meeting with Mr. Gattman was beneficial.  

       

No comments:

Post a Comment