About Me...

Welcome to my ISM Blog,

I am a student at Dr. Justin Wakeland High school located in Frisco, Texas. I am in the Independent Study Mentorship Program, or ISM, at Wakeland and my topic of study for this school year is Finance, specifically Hedge Fund Management. Throughout the year I will post Weekly Reports and my research along with other related works for the class here.

Thank You,
Matthew W.Blair

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Weekly Blog #5
Due Date: October 6th, 2014
By: Matthew W. Blair

         This week ended our first marking period. I would say that it went smoothly and was the positive start to the year that I needed. Knowing that by taking this class I have an advantage over my peers only inspires me to work harder.
         Friday we attended the ISM Business Symposium; it was a successful experience to say the least. At the Symposium we gained a sense of comfort during interviews through at least two practice interviews with professionals. My first interview was with a member of the FBI. He had little to no knowledge of hedge funds due to the difference between the two careers, however he taught me the importance of people skills. My second interview was better; I met with a GM Financial employee. He actually knew what a hedge fund was which was a first for the day, as it is a lesser-known career in Frisco I suppose. We talked about how he, much like a hedge fund, has to report to and deal with the SEC (Securities Exchange Commission). I knew going into the day that I would not have had the opportunity to meet with a hedge fund manager because there were not any present, however it was still a productive day. Many of the business philosophies I have either read about or my Father has taught me were reinforced by the professionals I met with Friday. If I could change one thing about that day I would have made an effort to meet with one of the bankers that were present, for I could not because they were not provided to my group.
         Overall this past week was a success and a great ending to the marking/grading period. Now I get to begin setting up interviews over the phone, and meeting with Hedge Fund Managers.


No comments:

Post a Comment